Job Description & Requirements
Intensive Care Nurse - ICU Nurse - Travel - (ICU RN)
Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit 8--Bed Intensive Care Unit
Neurosciences intensive care provides support for the neuro-surgical patient population. Patients in this setting require frequent neurological assessments and collaborative evaluations to manage intermediate care status. The population will include but is not limited to:
• Acute Stroke management (ischemic, hemorrhagic, SAH, etc.)
• Post Neuro-surgical and endovascular management (craniotomy, aneurysm clipping/coiling, complex neuro-spine)
• Seizure management (epilepsy, post-ictal and pseudo-seizures)
• Critically ill neuro patient population that may progress to multi-system organ failure.
NSICU must demonstrate expertise in advanced hemodynamic monitoring, ICP monitoring, and ventilator management. Nursing staff analyze all hemodynamics and respiratory care practitioners assist with mechanical ventilator management. BLS is required upon hire and ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) is preferred. NIHSS (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale) certification is required to be renewed annually.
Skills that will be utilized are NIHSS, lumbar, ventriculostomy and ICP management. Management of arterial line, central line, various cranial drains, and mechanical ventilation management are also essential nursing skills. Various intravenous drips concurrent with the ICU setting including pain, sedation, vasopressors etc… Temperature management with hypo and hyperthermia protocols and Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) are also essential in care for the critically ill.
• RN ratio for Intensive Care beds 1:2
• Nursing assistant ratio for Intensive Care beds 1:12